Thank you, Egg Nutrition Center, for sponsoring this post! As always, all thoughts and opinions are truly my own.
With both my boys being home for the foreseeable future, plus work and everything else that needs to be done around the house, let’s face it, there’s just not enough hours in the day! Especially in the morning when the kids are requesting a fast and delicious meal.
On days like this, I rely on quick and nutritious recipes such as these Cheesy Veggie & Egg Breakfast Roll-Ups. They are such a great way to pack in a few extra veggies and protein to help start their day off right!
Growing up, my mom would always cook eggs for breakfast and she called it “brain food.” I never understood that until I became a mom and did a little egg research of my own and discovered that there are nutrients in eggs that can ACTUALLY support brain health!
Did You Know…???
Eggs contain important nutrients that can support brain health, including choline and lutein. One large egg contains about 150mg of choline and 252mcg lutein and zeaxanthin. Choline is super important for brain development during pregnancy and infancy. However, more than 90% of Americans, which includes approximately 90% of pregnant women, don’t get enough of this essential nutrient.
Eggs are an excellent source of choline and a great way to get your recommended daily intake. Two large eggs supply more than half of the recommended intake for pregnant women and can help them meet their needs.
Lutein has also been found to play an important role in brain health and has been positively associated with cognitive function in older adults and academic performance in children. Now that you’ve learned a little bit more about this amazing brain food, let’s get to this recipe!
For more facts about eggs, visit https://www.eggnutritioncenter.org/
How to Make Cheesy Veggie & Egg Breakfast Roll-Ups:
Start by prepping your veggies and sautéing them in a large skillet. Next, remove the veggies and cook your eggs in the same skillet. Scramble the eggs to your liking and remove them from the skillet. Now it’s time to pile everything on to those delicious whole wheat tortillas, including a generous serving of low-fat shredded cheese. Roll them up and enjoy now, or freeze them for later!
My kids love these Cheesy Veggie & Egg Breakfast Roll-Ups with a serving of warm salsa, and a side of apple slices. It makes me feel good to know I can prepare my kids a nutritious breakfast in less than 20 minutes, or pull these out of the freezer to heat and eat when short on time.
For more information on the unique nutrient package in eggs, visit https://www.eggnutritioncenter.org/
Cheesy Veggie & Egg Breakfast Roll-Ups
- 6 8" whole grain tortillas
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¾ cup low-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Add oil to a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add in the bell peppers, green onion, and parsley and sauté until the vegetables become tender. Season with garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, and melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the same skillet. Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk them with a fork. Pour the eggs into the skillet and cook. Stir the eggs for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until they are just set. Remove skillet from heat.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, spread about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese on the tortilla, followed by 1/6 serving of the scrambled eggs and vegetable mixture. Roll them up and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- If you’re serving the roll-ups right away, you can halve the burritos like I did, or serve them whole with a side of warm salsa, if desired.
- If you’re freezing the roll-ups for later, let them cool to room temperature, and then wrap each one in plastic wrap. Transfer the wrapped roll-ups to a freezer-safe bag and squeeze out the air before sealing. Store the roll-ups in the freezer.
- To defrost frozen roll-ups, unwrap the plastic wrap and then wrap the roll-up in a damp paper towel. Microwave about 2 to 3 minutes, until warmed throughout and enjoy!