Are your kids a fan of green leafy veggies?? It’s okay if the answer is no, lol! With my kids, it’s a hit or miss. Sometimes, they will eat a whole bowl of collard greens and other times, they will frown at a plate of broccoli!
Instead of getting discouraged by their inconsistencies, I just decided to add some leafy green veggies to some of their favorite foods, such as quesadillas!
Quesadillas are their absolute favorite, which inspired me to create these Cheesy Whole Wheat Spinach Quesadillas! Leafy greens are packed with tons of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. And daily greens help fuel mineral balance in the body keeping organs, hormones, and metabolisms working the way they should.
I think the best part about working with greens, like spinach, is that they have such a neutral taste, so greens can take on the flavor of whatever it is you are cooking them in. Giving a leafy green even just a quick cook also wilts them down in size, so getting in a large amount isn’t so overwhelming.
Since leafy greens are so easy to incorporate into meals, I chop and wilt them into soups, bake them into casseroles, stir fry them, or make something like these Cheesy Whole Wheat Spinach Quesadillas!
Cheesy Whole Wheat Spinach Quesadillas
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 2 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- In a large skillet on medium-low heat, place 1 Tbsp of olive oil and the spinach. Cook for about 1 minute, tossing constantly to ensure even cooking. Once it darkens and wilts, remove to a bowl or plate.
- Heat a stovetop grill to medium heat and add another Tbsp of olive oil. Place the tortilla on the grill, and spread about half of the shredded cheese on half of the tortilla. Top with about half of the cooked spinach and cook for about 1 minute until the cheese starts to melt.
- Fold the tortilla over on itself, like an omelet. Cook for 30 seconds, then flip and cook for another minute.
- Remove to a plate and cut into fourths. Repeat the process with the remaining oil, spinach, tortilla and cheese.